Roof made of glass and aluminium is strong and durable. While canopies can be made of many materials, it has become a standard to use aluminium framed glass roofs for apartment buildings’ balconies. It is recommendable to mount these roofs before the heat insulation of the building is done, so the welded frame can be fixed directly to the concrete panel and therefore there is no need to cut the insulation later in order to get to the solid mounting surface.
In order to protect balcony concrete elements against changing weather conditions, should be considered mounting the balcony glazing system as well. Our glass-aluminium roof construction is designed to bear also frameless fully openable balcony glazing system as the profiles are welded together. It is also important that roof size has been manufactured based on the balcony’s size.
Material and technical data
For mounting the glass-aluminium roof construction is used M8 bolts and brass anchors. All fixings are made of stainless steel.
- For the roof’s welded frame construction is used 50×50 mm and 100×50 mm aluminium square tubes. Surface of the profiles is powder-coated according to RAL-catalogue.
- Mainly glasses are tempered (EN 12150) and 6 mm thick. It is recommendable to use clear glass, but there are also toned glasses (grey, bronze, green) in the portfolio.
- Specially designed Schüco profiles for the glass roof (aluminium 0-profile and covering profile).
- Gaskets ensure soft support surface for the glass and also make the roof waterproof.
- Joints of the glasses are covered with butyl (50 mm) which ensures complete water tightness. Wall joints with glass are covered with flashings.
- Upper aluminium slats are fixed with screws with sealing washer.
This system can be mounted separately for any existing construction (wood, steel, aluminium). The support surface for the glass is from three sides, the front edge is left opened and glass reaches over the edge approximately 100 mm.
Roof with a plastic cover
Plastic is less demanding than glass in terms of the quality of the mounting surface. It can be mounted without any special profiles directly on the roof’s surface. Plastic withstands UV radiation very well and is shatterproof. For larger surfaces is required rafters to be more tightly (min 400 mm). Main cover materials of the roof are 16 mm PC plastic plates with color range of clear, bronze, grey and milky white – opal tones. It is also possible to cover curved surfaces with plastic. The main advantages of the plastic roof are favorable price and small dead load. The construction of the frame allows cheaper aluminium profiles to be used e.g. bracket 50×50 mm.